Posts tagged ‘weightloss journey’
2023 Bucket List • Fly by July Campaign
January 30, 2023
Mia The Diva
Happy New Year Everyone!🥂🖤 so who else tried to get their entire life together before midnight New Year’s Eve?
Although l had intentions of being in these streets this NYE l opted to ring in the New Year quietly at home in my fanciest of leggings taking a few New Year’s selfies because this tiara is everything & binge streaming which was a nice change of pace because l don’t watch a whole lot of television.
It was a pretty full holiday season for me which l am grateful for and looking forward to that fresh start where we get this time of year to do this —-ALL —- over again. There’s always something optimistic and nostalgic starting a New calendar year.
I have a decent view of the strip and at midnight l ran out at midnight in the rain, wet and cold then drove around the corner to watch fireworks the one day it rains in Vegas lol.
Happy New Year. I’m back! I know it’s been a minute. It’s like the year ended for me when summer ended and my birthday came back in September.
It’s now winter. We got goals and as the saying goes Summer bodies are made in the winter.
The days just seem to be going by so fast these days, it’s hard to believe we have completed a whole year already it seems like 2022 was just one long weekend and my brain somehow is still stuck in 2020 it seems like time has just froze these past couple of years.
I started this year very early this morning as I am writing this on January 1st 2023 feeling refreshed, ready and hopeful of this year ahead.
To be transparent this whole holiday was great as it was tough for me to process some very hard residual emotions.
I’m not one to get emotional or depressed during the holidays but this year I think for the first time I allowed myself to feel ok with being a little down.
I kept myself busy and enjoyed time with friends. I had to get over this idea l had of the holidays. The holiday’s look different in this space of life that l am in and —— it’s ok.
It’s not what l was expecting in this space of life but what l’m learning is having expectations of things that are out of our control is the fast track to being down in the dumps.
To feel all the feels I realized I’ve been over-functioning since my Mom died 20 years ago this month. All the memories flooded that last holiday when she was alive. I understand now how young she was I was so young she was so young.
I’m in a stage of life that l am losing family members a change of the guard but it’s tough. Just when l think lve got this grief thing down l’m reminded that l don’t. I probably never will.
I look back at my life and took inventory of these past 20 years. I happened to have been in therapy at the time of my Mom’s death and I remember not crying and wondering why I was not crying when my mother had died.
My therapist at the time shared with me a truth bomb that helped me through my grieving process to this very day twenty years later.
She said that sometimes when we experience trauma our brains go into survival mode until it is safe to feel those emotions.
I remember years later I was crying at everything I seemed to see my mother everywhere but I also understood why I was going through what so I didn’t think I was losing my mind and going crazy. Side note: Therapy Rocks!! It doesn’t take away what happened to you but it helps you understand.
So as l enter this new year this new stage of life l will be living it on my terms. I’ve waisted so many years making other people and their bullsh*t my reality. Don’t nobody have time for that! Literally.
At the end of the day all we are left with is our feelings after people have did you dirty and have used you they will go on with their lives, so make sure you always feel your best. Do the things to be your best so that we can show up for ourselves and live the life that we truly want.
How we feel and how we show up for ourselves is one of the few things we actually have control over in this life, so make it work for you dear diva!
My 2023 Bucket List:
So traditionally a bucket list helps us maximize every moment of our existence and be able to live our lives out to the fullest.
A bucket list is all the things that we want to achieve before we die. The start of a new year is the perfect time to create one!
This year l decided to go more of the personal growth route but you honestly can create one for all aspects of your life like Travel, Health & Fitness, Career, Learning something new, relationships, all the way down to random things that you want to do. It’s your year you get to decide.
I challenge you to envision how you want your 2023 to look for you! Here’s my personal list below l took the non traditional route because l want to focus on my all around wellbeing.
1. Daily Gratitude – We hear this all the time but when are grateful for things it’s hard to get anxious, depressed or angry.
All day negative thoughts have been trying to get in my mind and l kick them right TF out!
2. Taking things one day at a time – There is no rush to the finish line. I’m learning that life is really about the unfolding of events and having deeper connections that help us grow into who we need to be.
3. Following my intuition – going with my gut! Sometimes l can overthink things to death and make myself sick over it. I have given my energy my attention to things that have far exceeded their shelf life. – Not a good look for a diva!
4. Spending more time with people that inspire & energize me. People either will energize, inspire, or drain you. Choose wisely.
5. Letting Go of Unrealistic expectations – Perfectionism has stalled so much of my life. The all or nothing approach has only set me up for the failure. The failure l was desperately trying to avoid ironically. I’m learning to work with my life and not against it.
6. Brain Breaks – Taking a brain break for a few minutes each day to give to myself. Especially working from home the days and my life all kind of run into each other. It’s so important to break up the day and give time back to myself.
7. Focusing on 3 simple goals – I use to over complicate trying to do everything at once every New Year only to get frustrated. Keeping my focus small & simple. A health goal, a personal goal, and career/financial goal.
8. Normalizing feeling sad – Sometimes we get down it’s a part of life. Sometimes we are up and have some pretty amazing days. I think it’s unrealistic and unhealthy to have the belief that things are to be good all the time.
When l’m having a moment I give myself 24 hours to be a sad bit*h then it’s time pull it back together.
I take it as a que like a check your engine light for something that’s not working in my life. It’s when we can’t pull out of it’s ok to get some professional help. Which l have done been there and actively doing.
Sadness no matter how painful has always given me the gift of clarity. It sucks when we’re in the thick of our expectations but the growth on the other side of painful experiences is priceless.
9. Booking my life – This year flew by and l have no idea how l really spent my time. I kind of found myself on this gerbal wheel of life lost, stuck, in a rut of poor habits and routines tired from being tired but nothing to show for it.
So anything l do it’s going on the calendar! The same for planning if it’s not on the calendar it doesn’t happen. I heard this quote “ lf you aim for nothing you will hit every time.” And l felt that to my core. Power Hour – Routines & Habits all 2023!
10. Allowing myself to be – Change is not easy as with a shifts l experience instead of resisting it l am willing to explore it.
My hope and goal this year is to live intentionally while still being in the moment. I challenge you to create your own 2023 Bucket List as we start this brand spanking’ New Year!
Be Healthy Be Fabulos Be You!
Mia The Diva
A Pandemic 2 years and 20 lbs later…3 Tips to get started losing that pandemic pooch!
July 1, 2022
Mia The Diva
We are officially full swing into summer, things are somewhat back to “ normal “ and we are outside.Tweet
Between being at home during the pandemic having time to think and just having a full circle WTF moment. Here l am.
So I invite you as I go on this journey for the next 365 days towards a better self, eating smarter and getting this booodddy yadddy yaddy together!
This time around I am learning to work with my body and not against it, setting unrealistic goals & setting expectations that just were not realistic long term.
I had to take an honest look at myself to see what can be done so that I can look and feel at my personal best.
It’s been a journey over the years. I won’t blame it all on Ms. Rona, but along the way I’m learning what works and what doesn’t for me.
What I like and what I don’t like. I had to dig deep into where my negative feelings were coming from, my relationship with food, my relationship with myself, my body and other people.
I learned there were things I was holding onto that I needed to let go of. When we hold too tight onto things we are unable to grow.
I’ve learned how to embrace this space of life that I am in right now and all of its glorious mess.
I’m doing this for me, for my health, for my future self and to inspire others to pull it together themselves along the way.
3 Easy Tips to start losing those pandemic pounds & start gaining your life back!
- Do what you can with what you have, you don’t need a gym membership to do a quick 30 second plank that can build up over time to one minute, two etc. It cost nothing to take a quick brisk walk around the block.
- Track what your eating though an app or journal. There are so many apps out there to choose which one works best for you. I find writing it down and journaling works best for me because it allows me to process my thoughts and learn my triggers.
- Stay Motivated and hold yourself accountable. This can be done by setting some goals for yourself using the SMART formula. Make sure it is specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and keep a timer on it to give yourself a deadline to achieve that goal!
It can be too easy to focus too much on immediate gratification;
“‘Like l wanna lose 50 lbs. by Friday!”
Planning for the short, middle & long term can help us set different priorities for different stages of our journey.
Having realistic goals, setting milestones and steps needed to achieve each goal will hold ourselves accountable over the long haul.
Motivation is temporary to get that “ thing “ we want or desire but it’s all about those new habits dear diva that will carry us through! Small changes can add up and consistency is key.
You can Follow a diva on all the things @flybyjuly
Be Healthy Be Fabulous Be You.
Mia The Diva
Are you your Biggest Critic or Biggest Fan?
June 21, 2022
Mia The Diva
Sometimes we are our own Biggest Critic;
If anyone ever talked to us the way that we talk to ourselves we would not be friends with them.
So why do we hold such value on the opinions of people who do little to nothing for us, even people we don’t even know?
Like the saying goes everyone has an opinion like everyone has a ________ fill in the blank.
It’s just an opinion and it can change like the weather.
Take heart dear diva and be kind to yourself, the world is hard enough on us.
We do not have to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders.
However many of us, WE are carrying the weight of our lives.
- The weight of all the pain.
- The weight of all the hurt.
- The weight of the forgotten dream.
- The weight of the heart-break.
- The weight of missed opportunity.
- The weight of grief.
- The weight of self hate.
- The weight of being late because it takes everything in you to get out of the bed.
- The weight of the diet that never actually starts on Monday.
- The weight of giving up before even getting started.
- The weight of never going swimming because your thighs jiggle and don’t like how you look in a bathing suit.
- The weight of laughing and pointing jokes at yourself to take the focus off you.
- The weight of saying that you are “ Good “ but feel like you’re dying from the inside out so you don’t have to do anything about it.
- The weight of making ourselves a joke of every conversation to ease our anxiety.
- The weight of success.
- The weight of failure.
- The weight of never enjoying the beach because of the stretch marks on your stomach and hips.
- The weight of never being yourself.
- The weight of trying to be the perfect daughter, sister, wife, partner, mother.
- The weight of not letting go.
- The weight of the pressure to look “ perfect “
- The weight of hiding yourself from the fear of being real.
- The weight of years of hating yourself through self-sabotage.
- The weight of knowing in your heart of hearts that you are imperfect but perfectly you.
- The weight of knowing you deserve better.
- The weight of knowing your are enough and always have been.
- The weight of surrounding yourself with people who have limited beliefs.
- The weight of not being free.
- The weight of not holding ourselves accountable.
The good news is we can turn this around; it’s never too late to become your very own Biggest Fan!
Get quiet with yourself, by visualizing your best future self try a daily check in with that Diva and ask her what you can do today to get an inch closer to whom you want to become.
Be Healthy Be Fabulous Be You!
Mia The Diva
Know the assignment: Chase the habits not the results
February 9, 2022
Mia The Diva
Knowing the assignment is key the grade is the result. Remember those kids who seemed to get straight A’s with no real effort that we perceived they were naturally smart?
Those kids had systems, habits and discipline many of them in sports or had some kind of passion for an extra curricular activity. It got me thinking…that it’s no different with our body and our health & wellness journey approach.
The assignment is simple but not easy.
1. Eat Clean
2. Move your body
3. Be Consistent
Plus a bonus thought 💭 Have a hobby you love because there is more to life than exercise & eating.
I remember focusing so much on the scale like it was a scribe of some sort like the change of numbers was going to do something significant in my life. When l focused on my actual efforts and actions taken is when l felt most progress not the numbers on the scale. The numbers were just a result of my efforts. I now use the scale as awareness that l’m on my game or off it.
I went hiking over the weekend and walked 9.5 miles and over 23k steps! The assignment was to complete the hike as a result l lost 3lbs but my focus was not weightloss it was l need to complete this hike. Plus there was no way we were getting out from there no cars, it was our only choice.
I was tired sore and walked like an 80 year old woman afterwards but also felt so strong and so proud of my body carrying me this far.
It was definitely the kick start l needed and my body thanked me for it by rewarding me with more energy after l rested over the next 24 hours.
When we finished our hike we went out to eat. l truly enjoyed my food it seemed to taste better and l truly felt like l earned it which has been a complete game changer.
Be Healthy Be Fabulous Be You!
Mia The Diva
How to ease anxiety
February 5, 2022
Mia The Diva
Up with anxiety having a hard time going to sleep this week. I had been under some stress after losing another one of my Uncles and couldn’t quite shake the jitters trying to fall asleep. Every time l think l’ve got this grief thing down. I’m painfully wrong.
Ultimately it is life and something we all must go through but it really really sucks and l wish l had a better way to put it but l don’t.
It didn’t help l had a glass of wine before bedtime. I learned that it can trigger jitters along with caffeine. Not a good look for a diva!
I went to bed well tried to.
I tossed and turned broke into a sweat. I never sweat heavily so l knew something was up. I was able to watch to two full feature films and not fall asleep. The movies triggered my anxiety so I decided since l couldn’t sleep to put this extra energy to use.
I stepped out on my patio. I’m glad it’s still cold out nice crisp after midnight chill. I held my cat then decided to make a cup of tea. I dimmed my lights. It’s helping as l’m writing l’m starting to calm down.
There really are no ways to get out of the horrible feeling of anxiety and panic attacks. It’s just something we have to go through understand it’s not forever but extremely uncomfortable. I was reading about how exercise actually calms the body. Incentive to start walking. I really need to get moving anyway.
I think about what l’m anxious about and honestly it’s a lot of things. The best way l’ve learned to tackle these issues is to focus on the right now to have faith that everything works out one way or another and the focus on the things l am in control of like what l eat and moving my body.
I focus on my goals and the things that l want to accomplish this year. Taking on the little things this week like starting my day with intention. Keeping up with my daily rituals and making adjustments as needed.
Be Healthy Be Fabulous Be You
Mia The Diva